Thursday, December 18, 2008

... indulgence.

This is the time of year when I really appreciate that my husband loves me. I am a little crazy about Christmas... for instance last night someone asked how many trees we have. I had to clarify how many are up in the house (three, counting Rachael's pink one) versus how many I actually own (four, again counting Rachael's tree; plus we get a live one every year). Might be a bit excessive. Although I did see an article this week on a woman with 61 trees. I don't think I need quite that many.

Ryan's family always said he was the Scrooge in the family, but I have to say, since we have been married he has been quite tolerant. He doesn't throw himself into it quite the way I do, but he lets me do pretty much whatever I want, within reason. Early in our marriage I used to get a budget for Christmas decorations every year; now that we are approaching 15 years together, I have noticed I have acquired quite a bit of stuff. He also hauls the boxes up from the basement every year, waits for me to decorate, then hauls the empty boxes back to the basement. Then we do it all again in January to put them away.

I'm grateful that even though he doesn't appreciate decorating for Christmas the way I do, he is generous and helpful.

The bonus for him? The two days after Thanksgiving we always watch all of the Star Wars movies.

3 comments:

Lorie said...

Does "scrooge" make Rachael wait to open her presents until he puts his contacts in?? Just curious...

Kristin said...

Rachael has only ever seen Daddy wear contacts once, and that was at Halloween (when he was a Jedi). Guess he's outgrown that phase!

JoAnn said...

Sounds like a good trade off. Christmas and Star Wars, two of my favorite things.