Wednesday, June 4, 2008

... they have a short life span.

This is the year of the 17-year periodical cicada. They are ugly, huge, loud bugs that appear in huge numbers every 17 years. They are so loud (because there are so many) that you can hear them inside the house, even with the TV on. They start mid-morning and die down in the evening. (I think I would be crazy if it lasted all night). Fortunately, they only live for 2-4 weeks, so this noise can't last too much longer. I have considered videotaping the swarms in our backyard for your audio enjoyment, but I'm not sure I want to remember the sound once they are gone.

Another thing to be thankful for is that they are not poisonous and will not damage the vegetable garden. Plus the dog likes to chase them and eat them... they aren't very fast. I hope she doesn't make herself sick.

1 comment:

Jolayne said...

I can't even imagine how annoying, and creepy at the same time, that would be.