Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Recovery Disc and Backups

My computer tried to eat itself yesterday. One minute it was fine... the next it rebooted itself... and never came back. Fortunately for me, I have a very technically capable husband, and between the two of us we managed to back up all of my data onto an external hard drive.

Then with some imagination we found a website to create a recovery disc, which if you have Windows Vista, you might know that a recovery CD does not come with the computer when you buy it. We were able to download the necesary files and burn a DVD.

I lost a few internet bookmarks, but other than that I can't tell I have lost anything critical. More frequent backups are on the horizon and now we are sure we have a working recovery CD.

Happy computing. And thanks for your help, Ry!

1 comment:

Erica said...

I had 3 hard drives die in a matter of 4 weeks. Talk about a frustrated little person. Thankfully most everything was backed up. I just about cried thinking about all my digital scrapbooking stuff being gone, but Jamey worked like crazy and recovered everything. Thank goodness for backups!!